Enjoying the conforts offered by Agriturismo La Cianella, Relais La Vedetta or Poggio la Croce, in Scarlino, in Maremma province, makes also possible visiting beautiful places such as Massa Marittima.
Starting from the Relais La Vedetta in Scarlino, in the district of Grosseto you can have a great tour of the municipality of Massa Marittima (Grosseto) in the heart of the metal-bearing hills of Tuscany.
Decorated with the Orange Flag reward by the Italian Touring Club, the area of Massa Marittima was already inhabited in prehistoric ages. It was an Etruscan settlement first, then Roman, and its name, Massa, officially appears on a paper from the X Century. Massa, starting from the XIII Century, was a possession of Siena, and then, in the second half of the Sixteenth Century, became a property of the Grand Duchy of Tuscany. Afterwards, Massa Marittima was quite active in Risorgimento uprisings.
Massa Marittima, which is located in the district of Grosseto today and not far from Relais La Vedetta, located in Scarlino (Grosseto), is enclosed into an interesting fortified wall, dating back to the XII Century. There is a wonderful old town, rich of great architectonical examples, where ancient mansions and astonishing churches enchant the visitors. The first building rising in the heart of Massa Marittima is the Castle of Monteregio from the IX Century. The imposing travertine structure of the Town Hall on the other hand stands in the the central Garibaldi Square.
Other important architectonical examples of this town, rich of significance, located within the district of Grosseto near Agriturismo La Cianella, Relais La Vedetta or Poggio la Croce, in Scarlino, in Tuscany are: Palace Bandini (XII Century), Palace Malfatti (XIII Century), Mansion of the Counts of Biserno (XIII Century) and Palace of the Podestà (ca. 1225).
The main religious building in Massa Marittima is the Cathedral of San Cerbone from the XII Century while among its most ancient churches stands out the Church – cloister of San Pietro all’Orto, a complex dating back to the 1197.