Leonardian Museum. Vinci hosts the Leonardian Museum which represents one of the richest and most complete collections of Leonardo Da Vinci’s works. In particular, the collection includes the works of Leonardo as technologist, architect and scientist. The Palazzina Uzielli and the Castello dei Conti Guidi are the sites of the museum itinerary and keep the machines built following the original project of the scientist.
Birthplace of Leonardo. The visit to the Leonardian Museum should be followed by the visit to Anchiano, near the house where Leonardo Da Vinci lived and which hosts a permanent educational exhibition consisting of drawings representing the Tuscan countryside and the Valdarno map drawn by Leonardo.
Fortress of Frederik II. Named in honor of the emperor who had it built between 1217 and 1223, the Fortress rises on a hill and is the most important place in San Miniato. With the word fortress (in Italian Rocca) is intended not only a castle but the highest part of the city enclosed by a massive city wall.
Palazzo Pretorio. One of the most important buildings in Certaldo is the Palazzo Pretorio, also known as Palazzo dei Vicari. Together with the church of Saints Thomas and Prospero, represents the most characteristic itinerary of the medieval city.
Boccaccio house. In Certaldo you can visit the house that belonged to Giovanni Boccaccio and which, together with the Palazzo Pretorio and the Museo di Arte Sacra, is one of the most important historical artistic itineraries in the city. Home of the Boccaccio National Institute, the residence houses a rich library focused on the works of the writer.
Montaione is a small town in Tuscany and stands out for the presence of several monuments and places of particular historical and artistic interest, including the Church of San Regolo and the Church and Convent of San Vivaldo.
In 1917 the small town of Gambassi gain its independence from Montaione together with the town of Varna, Catignano and Castagno after almost twenty years of negotiations. One of its most important monuments is the Church of Santa Cristina, built in 1935 by Count Alessandro Nardi.
The towers. Declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site for its historic center which still preserves a typically medieval appearance, San Gimignano is known as the city of the Towers. Of the 72 towers built, only 16 remain, including the oldest, the Rognosa, built in 1200, while the highest is called Torre Grossa and boasts a height of 54 meters.
Piazza Duomo. Also known as the Collegiate Church of San Gimignano, the Cathedral is considered a jewel of the medieval city that houses the Museum of Sacred Art including the works of the most important artists from Siena and abroad.
Piazza del Duomo represents the heart of the city’s political and social life since the Middle Ages. The square as we know it today was configured in the first half of the ‘200 during the golden age of the San Gimignano economy.
Piazza della Cisterna. Piazza della Cisterna is named because of the water cistern below. The square is one of the most beautiful and important places in San Gimignano and is an important meeting point for the market and for theatrical performances since the Middle Ages.