Ragusa, administrative centre of the district, is situated in Sicilia.
It’s also called the Town of Bridges for the presence of the Old Bridge that connects the two parts of the town that are divided by S.Domenica valley. It dates back to the 800. Then New Bridge was built in 1937 and the Bridge Pope John XXIII in 1964.
Ragusa is located in Val di Noto and with it is part of the UNESCO World Heritage sites list because of the baroque art masterpieces.
The Cathedral of St. George is an excellent representation of this style. It was built in the sixteenth century, after that the original church dating back to the XII century was destroyed by the earthquake in 1693 and the portal with the depiction of St. George slaying the dragon was the only thing remaining. The new cathedral was built with a dome in neoclassical style on two column rows and a tower facade. It is accessed by a grand staircase and at the inside includes various statues and paintings of great value in the side chapels. The relics of the saint and the statues are preserved on the side doors and the stained-glass windows depict episodes of the martyrdom of St. George.
In the center of Ragusa there are beautiful mansions, such as the Palazzo Zacco in rococo style, with the façade in two columns and balconies decorated with sculptures, it was built by Baron Melfi as evidenced by the large coat of arms of the family on the walls.
Also in baroque and rococo style, there are the Palace Schininà, the Sortino-Trono Palace, Bertini