Toritto is a small town in Bari, in Puglia.
It is part of the National Park of Alta Murgia and its origin dates back to the 1000.
Walking through the old town center you can see the clock tower dating back to the mid-sixteenth century and the Church of St. Nicholas, dedicated to the patron saint of the village. Its origin dates back to the eleventh century and was enlarged in 600 when it reached its current size with the construction of the bell tower. There are very valuable paintings inside as The Last Supper made in 500 and St. Nicholas in glory, made in 800.
In Piazza Aldo Moro there’s the Church of the Madonna delle Grazie, built in the mid 700, after that the homonymous church that was out of the village was destroyed by the earthquake.
In Piazza Vittorio Emanuele, there’s the Toritto Castle dating back to the eleventh century, its Norman Tower is a National Monument. Some centuries later it was enlarged and restored and was used as a noble residence. Today the castle is privately owned, but a part is used for exhibitions and cultural events.
Toritto has a long agricultural tradition and is especially dedicated to the production of extra virgin olive oil and almonds.
Near Toritto there’s Altamura with several archaeological sites, natural areas with caves full of stalactites and stalagmites, and Cava Pontrelli or Cava dei Dinosauri which includes thousands of footprints witness to the presence of five different groups of dinosaurs that lived more than 80 million Years ago.