Gualdo Cattaneo is a beautiful medieval village in Perugia district, in Umbria. And it’s situated on the Martani mountains between Umbria and the Tiber Valley.
There are many castles on this hilly territory, that were protagonists of wars and clashes between the various medieval fiefdoms in the past. Some of these buildings can still be admired in Gualdo Cattaneo and the surrounding land. In the old town centre there is the fortress of the Borgias, built in 1500 in honor of Pope Alexander VI. This imposing fortress was designed to defend the village and resist long sieges, in fact it repelled many attacks and invasions. Its triangular shape has a tower at each corner and the biggest one is 20 meters high and 80 meters wide at the base, it still dominates the surrounding landscape.
Near Pomonte, we can find the remains of a fortress and adjoining, on the hill, a fortified building of the XV century surrounded by 4 towers and surrounded by lush vegetation, called the Castle of Pomonte.
On another hill there’s the Castello di Cisterna dating back to the thirteenth century, it was initially under the control of Perugia, and from 1800 passed to Gualdo Cattaneo, which in that period became a small town, the castle retains its medieval structure especially as regards the tower.
Other castles near Gualdo Cattaneo are the Simigni Castle built in 1103 and expanded and fortified two centuries later with the addition of the walls and the tower; and Marcellano Castle dating back to the XII century.