Borgomaro is situated in Imperia district, in Liguria. This beautiful medieval village is surrounded by nature between the valle del Maro and the surrounding peaks such as Monte Grande and Monte Guardiabella.
The the old town centre is in medieval style and there are many buildings to admire along its narrow streets. Among the beauties of Borgomaro we can find the Church of St. Anthony, dating back to medieval period but repeatedly altered since the seventeenth century, to the reconstruction of the facade in neoclassical style in the nineteenth century, and contains many works of art, frescos, paintings and statues, inserted in the church at different times.
Near Conio, there’s the Castle of Conio, also called Castle Ventimiglia from the name of the counts that built it in the thirteenth century, its position is perfect to defend the village with a view of the whole valley, today it offers a wonderful panoramic view and an excellent frame for exhibitions and cultural events.
The Castle of the Maro wasn’t very lucky, it is situated in a village with its same name, it was also built on a hill to defend the valley, but suffered a heavy attack in 1625 and today we can only see the ruins.
The territory of Borgomaro with numerous neighboring villages, is ideal for outdoor living and hiking in the surrounding mountains that are rich in chestnut, olive trees and large meadows. In particular, the Monte Carpasina is a natural reserve and is home to many protected animals including the golden eagle and the raven, as well as many species of plants such as beautiful orchids.