Co-Cathedral of the Annunciation. The co-cathedral, or Duomo of Todi, is the main church of the village. Dates back to the twelfth century and was built on an existing building of Roman origin. Expanded and renovated over the centuries, now has many architectural details related to various periods, such as the thirteenth-century façade, the central rose window of the sixteenth century or the stained glass windows restored in the nineteenth century.
The main door made of wood, consisting of four panels depicting the Annunciation, the Archangel Gabriel, St. Peter and St. Paul is a work of art of great value.
At the inside we can admire the beautiful fresco of “Faenzone”. Built in 1596, it represents the Last Judgement, and is inspired by the Last Judgement that Michelangelo painted in the Sistine Chapel.
Piazza del Popolo. The main square in Todi, which overlooks the Duomo that we’ve just described, it is surrounded by important civic buildings such as the Palazzo dei Priori, the Palazzo del Capitano and the Palazzo del Popolo. The arcades that form the arcade under the buildings are commonly called “The Voltoni”.
The square dates back to the Middle Ages and during time it has seen many changes. Overall, its size was reduced right after the construction of the various surrounding buildings. It has maintained the central role in the social life of the town and is the main point of the population meeting.
Captain’s Palace. The building dates back to 1293, it consists of a porch in Gothic style. Among the most important rooms there’s the Sala del Capitano del Popolo with frescoes painted between the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries. The palace also includes the museum which houses the remains found at the archaeological sites in the area.
Palazzo del Popolo. The palace is now the town hall and dates back to 1213. The bell tower dates back to 1523. The entrance stairway is shared with the Captain’s Palace which is also joined by a part of the loggia.
Roman cisterns. The Roman cisterns are an excellent testimony of the history of Todi and the whole region. It is an architectural complex dating back to pre-Roman period, Roman and medieval. More than 30 tanks and about 500 wells have been discovered, joined by galleries for about five kilometers. It’s a real underground town accompanied by its historical and cartographic documents.
Church of San Fortunato. The church dates back to the twelfth century, enlarged in the XIII century in Gothic style. At the inside we can admire the aisles, which are accessed directly from the facade with stained portals with biblical scenes and floral symbolism. The church has 13 beautifully frescoed chapels, the crypt under the altar with the mausoleum and the fresco depicting the Faenzone Jacopone.
Monte Castello di Vibio
Teatro della Concordia. Near Todi you can admire the smallest theater in the world. Even if its title of world’s smallest theater is unofficial, this small theater is a true work of art and is a wooden detailed miniature of a great Italian theater. From the proscenium, to the dressing rooms, the lobby, everything is reproduced in small size, without sacrificing acoustics. This jewel dates back to 1808 and in 2002 was depicted in a stamp.